Varicose Vein Treatment in Denver, CO
What are Varicose Veins and How are They Treated?
Varicose veins are swollen veins that are visible just under the surface of the skin. They are a very common problem affecting half of the people 50 years of age or older. Thankfully varicose veins can be treated. The vein specialists at Minimally Invasive Procedure Specialists are Denver’s leaders in the treatment of varicose veins. Learn more about common symptoms and your treatment options, and schedule your appointment today.
What are varicose veins?
Varicose veins are enlarged blood vessels that are blue or purple and highly visible most often appearing in your legs. These twisted and tangled-looking veins may even bulge above the surface of your skin.
What are the Causes of Varicose Veins?
There are certain factors that can increase someone’s chance of developing varicose veins including:
- Pregnancy. The increased amount of blood in the body can cause veins to enlarge. Even if varicose veins appear during pregnancy, they usually improve within three months after delivery.
- Limited Movement. If you have an occupation where you sit for a long period of time, take breaks and walk around so your veins don’t have to work harder to pump blood.
- Age. Age affects the valves in your veins. As someone gets older, veins typically become weaker and can produce varicose veins.
- Hormonal Changes. The biggest changes in hormones occur during puberty, menopause and pregnancy.
What Symptoms May Develop if You have Varicose Veins?
Your varicose veins may not cause any symptoms, but many people in the Denver area experience problems such as:
- Leg pain and discomfort
- Heavy-feeling or uncomfortable legs
- Swollen feet or ankles
- Restless legs
- Burning or throbbing feeling
- White patches around the ankles
- Dry, itchy skin
- Reddish-brown skin discoloration
Your symptoms may be worse later in the day, in warmer weather, or after standing for a long time.
How are Varicose Veins Treated?
Though varicose veins don’t usually cause severe medical issues, they could potentially lead to sores, bleeding, superficial thrombophlebitis and deep vein thrombosis. To avoid medical complications from varicose veins, there are treatment options such as:
This outpatient procedure is performed with imaging guidance. A thin catheter is inserted into the vein. The laser energy heats and seals the vein closed.
During this procedure, the abnormal vein is removed through a small incision.
Before recommending the treatment that’s best for your veins, our Denver Vein experts perform a Doppler venous ultrasound. Doppler imaging allows them to diagnose your vein condition and create a individualized treatment plan.
After treatment, the varicose veins are permanently closed and then gradually disappear as they’re either reabsorbed or shrink. Venous insufficiency and any of the related symptoms are also eliminated. Your body is also able to restore healthy circulation by rerouting blood through other veins.
Schedule Your Vein Appointment in Denver, CO
If you still have questions regarding treatment for varicose veins, we encourage you to meet with our interventional radiologists to discuss treatment options. To schedule an appointment with MIPS Center call (303) 805-7477 or request an appointment online using our secure form.